Friday, October 30, 2009

Samsung PN50B550 Forget LCD! This plasma is the one!

I did alot of research on Plasmas versus LCD. My main uses were going to be to watch hi-def movies and tv programs. No gaming, no PC use, nothing else. I ended up getting this plasma locally at a national retailer (abbrev. FM) for $899 + tax!

I went all over locally comparing the picture quality of LCDs and plasmas (though plasmas were much harder to find) and I could not believe the difference. True, this really depends on how they configure the settings in the store (if they do at all) but still, I could clear see a difference in clarity and color.

One thing I was worried about was heat and power usage. I have heard plasmas produce alot of heat. Well, yes, mine does get warm to the touch but it's not like it's a heater or anything.

Also, I took into consideration the viewing angle. We have 2 sofas at extreme angles to the tv and the picture still looks awesome! LCDs - forget about it. If you go past 30 degrees off center in either direction, so start to see the colors and contrast fade. This really go to me.

Also, as for image retention. This set does have a pixel shift feature built in. Just make sure it's on with each source! I have read that the first 100 - 200 hours are when plasmas are more susceptible to burn-in. Be aware and take as much precaution as you can.


I would say if you are looking for a good way to display hi-def movies then take a close look at this set. I am not disappointed with anything so far and would highly recommend this set to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment